[systemd-devel] Seeking Advice on debugging failure to reboot

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.com
Tue Oct 11 08:09:00 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 11 October 2011 12:37:23 Michal Schmidt wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 12:44 PM, Barry Scott wrote:
> > The full log is here:
> >
> > http://onelanftp.co.uk/bscott/ntb10117.netconsole.txt
> >
> > The first boot sequence from lines 1-182 works.
> >
> > The second from 188-1182 has the problem.
> >
> > If the kernel is at fault then I would expect to see the
> > "About to execute: /bin/systemctl --force reboot" line
> > and a failure to reboot.

> > But given that line is not output I suspect its more
> > likely to be an issue with systemd not getting to that
> > point. And question is what stops this happening?
>
> In the second run umount.target is not reached. It is not obvious why.
> The log shows only /data, /boot and /media being unmounted in both runs.
> There may be a mountpoint that refuses to die. Did you try waiting a few
> minutes to see if any timeout kicks in?

We do not see any timeout.

> It is unfortunate that we only see the messages after syslog is stopped.
> Try with "systemd.log_target=console", or just stop rsyslog.service
> manually before invoking reboot. This way netconsole should show more of
> the events.

I have uploaded full netconsole logs with the options you suggested:

http://onelanftp.co.uk/bscott/netconsole.noreboot.txt
http://onelanftp.co.uk/bscott/netconsole.reboot.txt

Here is the output of mount from the same system after power-fail
reboot:

# mount
/proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=509736k,nr_inodes=127434,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/mapper/NTBgroup-System4 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
systemd-1 on /dev/mqueue type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=23,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /dev/hugepages type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=24,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=25,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /sys/kernel/debug type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=26,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /sys/kernel/security type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=28,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/mapper/NTBgroup-Data on /data type ext4 (rw,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)

Barry