[systemd-devel] Seeking Advice on debugging failure to reboot

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.com
Wed Oct 12 06:46:11 PDT 2011

Thanks to Michal's observation that swapoff failed we have now found the root cause.

swapoff is called while all our production processes are still running.

We would have expected systemd to turn off swap after stopping most if not
all processes and thus freeing up as much memory as possible. swapoff fails
becuase there is not enough ram available to load the pages from swap into.

Is this a systemd problem or an issue with the way we wrote our services and targets?

Barry