[systemd-devel] systemd hangs on shutdown

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Oct 16 18:57:58 PDT 2011

On Thu, 13.10.11 20:02, Daniel Drake (dsd at laptop.org) wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > So this is a the big issue here I believe. If you look at 87.293308
> > you'll see that tmp.mount is suddenly mounted again for some reason,
> > which systemd then takes as hint to get rid of
> > poweroff.target/poweroff.service, since they conflict with that.
> >
> > It key to the mystery here is figuring out why systemd suddenly sees
> > those mount points coming back. It would be good to figure out what the
> > mount table is when that happens.
>
> Thanks for looking carefully at this!
>
> It looks like the problem is that we had /tmp mounted as tmpfs, then
> mounted as tmpfs again on top. We've had this for a long time
> (unintentionally), but it hadn't surfaced as an issue until now - we
> didn't even realise.

Ah, interesting. I guess systemd should not choke on stacked
mounts. Probably not an exceptionally important bug, but still some bug
to fix in systemd. I have now added that to the TODO list.

> After removing the duplicate mount setup so that /tmp is only mounted
> once, the system shuts down.

Yepp, that sounds like the right thing to do. (btw, I saw a number of
additional bind mounts/tmpfs mounts in your logs that appear unnecessary
these days. It might be worse verifying whether you still need them.)

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.