[systemd-devel] Systemd and cgroup management (and libcgroup)

Balbir Singh bsingharora at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:25:38 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:41 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 01.11.11 05:22, Balbir Singh (bsingharora at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> cool! Is it possible to UnJoinControllers at runtime and ask for a
>> different binding without a reboot?
>
> Right now you need to reboot. Joining/separating controllers at runtime
> is really hard though, given that the hierarchies might be populated and
> one would have to come up with a "merge" algorithm for two hierarchies
> then.

In cgconfig/cgclear we move all the tasks to root "/" and then unmount
the controller. The user is free to change bindings after that. It
implies we lose resource bindings and any classification we've done.
Given systemd's design is it possible to notify all tasks of any such
movement and move them or is too intrusive?

Balbir Singh