[systemd-devel] Restart and RestartSec in packaged .service files

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 1 07:11:19 PDT 2011

On Thu, 01.09.11 11:19, Albert Strasheim (fullung at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I was wondering if there is some kind of guideline about whether
> packaged .service files in Fedora, etc. should specify Restart=,
> RestartSec=, etc.
>
> Most of the system services shipped with Fedora are quite stable, but
> it might be could to have Restarts in place for services that crash
> once every few weeks, or that fall prey to the OOM killer or a
> mistyped kill command.
>
> If the policy is not to include Restart= and RestartSec= by default,
> it might be nice to have a way to override them without having to
> override a large number of .service files with copies in /etc/systemd,
> which will have to be kept up-to-date with each distribution upgrade.

There's currently no policy on this, but I generally do believe it would
make a lot of sense to automatically respawn most services when they
crash. However, if we do this we probably need some additional
infrastructure in place to that we have a nice place to dump information
about the crash. And we need to figure out which services are good
candidates for automatic respawning and which ones aren't.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.