[systemd-devel] D-Bus system services: systemd, Upstart, the future

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 07:46:43 PDT 2011

> On Fri, 02.09.11 10:04, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> For the record there will be no more native systemd unit files
>> introduced into the release ( F16 ) after we release beta and since
>> we have started composing test candidates for beta what's in the
>> release ( F16 ) now is pretty much what will be in it during it's
>> whole release cycle.
> Oh, I thought we had the full conversion as release requirement. I
> wasn't aware this didn't work out. Sorry for the confusion,

Fesco themselves approved to block the alpha release until all core,
base and base-x + what's on the live media had been converted.

But when push came to shove FESCO back out of it as in blocking the
release which should have been done since both openvpn and
wpa_supplicant are on the live media and if they had any intention what
so ever to reach that goal they could have stepped in themselves ( which
btw fesco members should never have to do. ) package and shipped the
remaining service that lacked native unit files since I had already
submitted unit files to reach that goal.

Now the the biggest problem I have faced for speedy adoption so far are
non responsive maintainers.

Once a maintainer becomes unresponsive it causes major pain across
various groups within the community and not but not least to the end user.

I'm not sure how other distro's deal with that problem but our method is
far from being efficient.

Anyway to put long story short what I have learned so far is that the
current model surrounding maintainers and maintainership followed by
various policies surrounding that model which is used in Fedora as in
maintainers "Own" their components ( ownership model ) cannot deal with
large scale changes like systemd introduces amongst other things and
that module effectively became outdated when Fedora stopped being hobby
distro made up of relatively few components with relatively few
maintainers and users.

JBG