[systemd-devel] syslogs in /proc/kmsg

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 5 15:52:42 PDT 2011

On Mon, 05.09.11 12:25, Albert Strasheim (fullung at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello all
> Also, it doesn't seem as if the first application logs end up
> /var/log/messages though.
>
> Should I be seeing these first application logs in /var/log/messages?
>
> Also, is there any way to avoid the application logs in /proc/kmsg (to
> avoid the overflow)? I guess I could add After=rsyslog.service to all
> my services, but that doesn't seem right.

Basically, early boot messages go into kmsg now. Previously they went to
/dev/null. The quicker rsyslog gets started the earlier messages will
be written directly to syslog.

If the log buffer runs full too quickly, then it might be an optoin to
fix the apps in question to log less (for example, systemd logs a lot in
debug mode. Hence if you currently run it in debug mode it might be an
idea to turn off debug mode again), or to increase the log buffer size
with "log_buf_len=2M" or so on the kernel cmdline.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.