[systemd-devel] Is StandardOutput in systemd.mount units ignored?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Sep 13 08:44:40 PDT 2011

On Tue, 13.09.11 00:37, Miklos Vajna (vmiklos at frugalware.org) wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:26:51AM +0200, Thomas Meyer <thomas at m3y3r.de> wrote:
> > I added a "StandardOutput=kmsg" to the proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
> > unit and patched my /bin/mount program to always run with verbose=3, but
> > I cannot see the output of the mount command in the dmesg!
> >
> > bug or feature?
>
> The later, systemd uses mount() directly, not via /bin/mount. See
> src/mount-setup.c.

Nah, this is not entirely true.

We mount the virtual API file systems such as as /proc or /sys with
mount() system calls, but normal file systems via /bin/mount, since that
is part of the FS mounting API. (i.e. think smbfs and others with mount
"plugins" via /sbin/mount.smbfs and so on).

In fact, the default of StandardOutput= should already by syslog for all
mount units, and it should work. If it doesn't work, it's a bug that
should be fixed.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.