[systemd-devel] systemd and mysql with large memory pages

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 19 11:48:34 PDT 2011

On Mon, 19.09.11 20:42, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> Am 19.09.2011 19:39, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> >> /etc/security/limits.conf and set the desired setting there which is
> >> the proper way of doing this stuff since you rarely change them.
> >
> > limits.conf is generally only applied to logins, not to system services
>
> i remeber that was the reaso include it in the /etc/initd./service because
> started processes from here should use the limits from the
> parent-shell

systemd invokes all services in clean defined execution contexts with
reset resource limits. This problem should not exist on systemd hence.

> but why is "limits.conf" ignored by services?

It's the configuration file of pam_limits, and since PAM is for user
authentication and session management and mysql is a service we don't
invoke it.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.