[systemd-devel] systemd hangs on shutdown

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Sep 28 08:03:36 PDT 2011

On Wed, 28.09.11 11:09, Daniel Drake (dsd at laptop.org) wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > Boot with "systemd.log_level=debug" and "systemd.log_target=kmsg" on the
> > kernel cmdline. Then shutdown and look at the output that is generated
> > then. If you find nothing useful in it, please paste it somewhere so
> > that I can have a look.
>
> Nothing jumps out at me so I'd like to take you up on that offer :)
> http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20110928/systemd-debug-shutdown-hang.txt

Hmm, so I don't see any obvious either.

It might make sense to figure out which of the services hang on
shutdown. Starting at 60.141079 you'll find the jobs that systemd
determines it needs to execute for shut down. Each time one of these
jobs is finished you see this logged, for example in 87.920164. It would
make sense to see which jobs from the initial transaction never are
finished, i.e. never get the matching "Job ... finished" message.

What's going on with those "serial8250: too much work for irq4" message?
Note  that by default systemd will log short pretty status messages to
/dev/console. If that points to your serial driver and that driver is
hosed then maybe that causes systemd to freeze?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.