[systemd-devel] Warning to Distros: NetworkManager + systemd + nscd + nmcli deadlock issue on boot.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 2 10:52:54 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 02/04/12 14:56 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and Michal Schmidt at 02/04/12 14:47 did gyre and gimble:
>> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> So in this situation, as systemd is aiming for network.target, but
>>> it's not actually reached it yet, systemctl condrestart nscd appears to
>>> hang, presumably waiting for network.target to be reached (as nscd.service
>>> is ordered After network.target).
>>
>> Does reverting commit dd17d38 "job: fix loss of ordering with restart jobs" help?
>>
>> As noted in the patch description, try-restart needs to be improved to finish
>> quickly when the service is not running. I will be looking into this.
>
> As mentioned on IRC, I suspect it will.

I stand corrected and suspect no more! Reverting that patch didn't solve
the fundamental issue.

It did seem to make the timeout happen quicker (in a wholly unscientific
test), but the problem was definitely still there.

So I suspect that this problem could manifest itself in Fedora too
(although the differences in what contributes towards network.target may
mean it does not).

Cheers

Col

--