[systemd-devel] systemd inquiry

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 9 07:30:12 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Mark Hounschell at 09/04/12 14:59 did gyre and gimble:
> On 04/05/2012 05:23 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Mark Hounschell at 05/04/12 18:26 did gyre and gimble:
>>> I'm not a systemd developer but I am trying to use it in place of
>>> sysvinit to create a dedicated "run-level" for our application. Is this
>>> list an appropriate place to inquire about problems I have?
>>
>> Yup, ask questions here, but make sure you've read up on the various
>> articles and documentation and such like on
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd first :)
>>

> Thanks, I've read a lot but nowhere did I find pointers to do what I
> need to do. So I thought I would just try to understand the process of
> getting to "single-user" mode. I expected  that I would be able to look
> at /lib/systemd/system/single.target for a starting point but it's just
> a link to /dev/null? I was then lost....
>
> So I just created a test target that I expected/hoped would just start a
> single mingetty on tty1. It did do that but I also got agettys on ttys
> 2-6.

Are you sure you get them? Are they not started on-demand as soon as you
switch to them? This is handled by autovt at .serivce (which is just a
symlink to getty at .service by default).

Systemd handles this magically. Simply set: NAutoVTs=0 in logind.conf to
disable.

Make sure however you do enabled at least one getty manually if you do
this. I'm not sure you test.target did that. You'll want a
test.target.wants/getty at tty1.service symlink (pointing to your
getty at .service file.

> I also got some unwanted Console-Kit and Polkit stuff running that
> I also do not want or need.

Well consolekit I agree with, but polkit is likely loaded automatically
when you start running systemctl commands. It uses polkit to decide
whether or not you are allowed to do stuff.

However, consolekit is likely started as a consequence of logging in.

Chances are you have some pam modules (i.e. pam_ck_connector) in
whatever pam config you're using to login.

HTHs

Col

--

Colin Guthrie