[systemd-devel] systemd inquiry

Mark Hounschell markh at compro.net
Tue Apr 10 05:36:04 PDT 2012

On 04/09/2012 08:06 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:

>> Yep, that works. Can the NAutoVTs be set differently on a per target basis?
>
> Not as far as I know, but you should be able to do something similar via
> a conflicts directive.
>
> e.g. if you have NAutoVTs=6 by default you can just put:
> Conflicts=autovt at tty1.service autovt at tty2.service ... autovt at tty6.service
>
> This should prevent then kicking in. That said, I'm really not sure how
> much you gain here. They are loaded on demand afterall, so it's not like
> they are buring CPU cycles etc. Personally it doesn't seem worth the
> bother to me, but maybe you have your reasons :)

Again, thanks for the help. I do have my reasons but they are not really
relevant. I will play with the Conflicts directive.

I am having another issue with an out of kernel "GPL" device driver not
being available "on time" so to say. When the kernel discovers this pci
card it loads it's kernel module and sets up the card for use. This
takes around 15 seconds per card and there is usually 2-3 of them. When
the card is up, running, and ready, the kernel module notifies udev who
in turn executes a small script that creates 30 or so different device
nodes for use with the card. This little script is not a systemd service
nor a sysvinit script. When I use sysvinit, (maybe by luck) all this
happens well before any app gets to run in my dedicated run-level. Using
systemd it does not appear to. What does the udev-settle.service do? Can
it help me here somehow or should I just assume that I will have to turn
this script into a systemd service?

Regards
Mark