[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] License Change

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 11 15:28:38 PDT 2012

Heya,

just wanted to let you all know that systemd git is now licensed under
LGPL2.1+, relicensed from GPL2+. We finally got the missing OKs for the
relicensing from a few contributors with non-trivial commits.

If you package systemd you probably need to update your RPM .spec (or
equivalents for your distro) files to reflect the new license.

With this license change closed source software may now link against
libsystemd-login.so and similar libraries, and we can still freely
copy/paste code around in systemd.

There are a few bits in udev that remain GPL2+ for now, but we hope to
relicense these too, soon.

There are a few bits MIT that continue to be MIT.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.