[systemd-devel] Unit configuration for FUSE file system

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Sat Apr 28 17:41:21 PDT 2012

Hello,

I am struggling to come up with the correct way to define a unit
configuration for a FUSE based network file system.

Generally, the file system needs to be mounted and unmounted with its
own programs (rather than with mount and umount). The main reason for
the custom umount command, however, is that it uses some /proc based
hacks to block until the mount process has actually exited (this may
take quite some time even after the mountpoint has been freed, because
cached data is may still be transferred over the network).

Things I am confused about:

Is there a way to express this in a .mount unit, or do I need to declare
this as a more general .service?

Is the custom umount command still necessary, or can I use the standard
umount() and rely on systemd to wait until the mount process has truly
finished before considering the service stopped?

When using a .service file instead, is there some way to still tell
systemd that this service mounts a specific path?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. This is my first contact with systemd
and my first custom unit configuration.

Best,

   -Nikolaus