[systemd-devel] [RFC] adding udev options to systemctl

Peeters Simon peeters.simon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 13:04:28 PDT 2012

hej,

Since systemd and udev are one project now it might be an idea to be
able to control both daemons with one tool (systemctl)

also, since i don't like the way the arguments to udevadm work (very
unclear about what is a commando and what an option),
i tought maybe we can redo this "interface" at the same time, to make
it integrate more with  the other systemctl commandos.

here is what i currently think could be a good way to add udev control
in systemctl:

systemdctl
        daemon-reload: also reload udev rules

        udev
                trigger [type] [action]
                set <key>=<value>
                stop-exec
                start-exec
                test [action] <syspath>
                builtin <command> <syspath>
                settle [filename]
                monitor [kernel/udev/both]
                db export/cleanup
                query <name/symlink/path/property/all> <path=/name=>
                attribute-walk <path=/name=>
                device-id-of-file <file>

and maybe we can add some way to know the difference between a device
name and a sys-path ( maybe by forcing the later to begin with /sys )
and drop the 'path=' and 'name=' in query and attribute-walk

of course for compatibility the udevadm command has to stay around for
a while, but maybe we can fold it into systemctl with a symlink (like
we doe for poweroff, reboot,...)

any sugestions/comments are welcome, i am willing to code this if it is wanted.

Simon Peeters