[systemd-devel] [RFC] adding udev options to systemctl

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Aug 3 10:35:21 PDT 2012

On Thu, 02.08.12 22:04, Peeters Simon (peeters.simon at gmail.com) wrote:

> hej,

Heya,

> Since systemd and udev are one project now it might be an idea to be
> able to control both daemons with one tool (systemctl)
>
> also, since i don't like the way the arguments to udevadm work (very
> unclear about what is a commando and what an option),
> i tought maybe we can redo this "interface" at the same time, to make
> it integrate more with  the other systemctl commandos.

Hmm, so I actually would like to keep these things separate. I.e. have
journalctl as client for journald, loginctl of logind, systemctl for
systemd. In fact, I'd even like to see hostnamectl, timedatectl,
localectl added as similar clients for the respective mini daemon we
ship.

Already, systemctl has way too many different verbs. We should be very
conservative in adding even more.

Also, I don't think that the interface of udevadm was really that
bad. Sure, we could clean it up a little, update the docs for it and
things like that, but fundamentally it actually looks OK to me.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.