[systemd-devel] [Feature Request] systemctl --user status to output journal logs

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Aug 3 12:49:11 PDT 2012

On Thu, 02.08.12 19:28, Damien Robert (Damien.Robert__sent at normalesup.org) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when using systemctl status foo.service, the last journald entries
> correspondingto this service are printed, which is a very nice feature of
> systemd.
>
> However, this is not the case when running a systemd --user, then systemctl
> --user foo.service will not print the corresponding journal logs, even if
> there are some. So here is to a feature request :)

This definitely makes snese. Added to the TODO list now.

> While I am at it, I have a question about how to distinguish in the
> user-mypid.journal what come from services started by the service systemd
> and what come from services started by systemd --user. A look at journalctl
> _AUDIT_LOGINUID=myid -o verbose show that the messages corresponding to
> services started by systemd --user could be identified by their
> _SYSTEMD_CGROUP of the form
>         _SYSTEMD_CGROUP=/user/myname/8/systemd-30697/foo.service
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> so something like journalctl _SYSTEMD_CGROUP='the right regular expression'
> could print them, but journalctl does not seem to support regular
> expression yet.

regexes are really hard to index by, so I doubt we will support them.

We probably should just teach journald to parse user service names into
_SYSTEMD_USER_UNIT= or so. I'd be happy to take a patch for that.

> To tell the truth I was expecting to identify these messages by using
> _SYSTEMD_OWNER_UID=myid, but it seem that systemd --user does not set this
> property: I have some message with _SYSTEMD_OWNER_UID=myid in my logs but
> they do not correspond to messages generated by the services from systemd
> --user, so I don't really know what _SYSTEMD_OWNER_UID means :)

The journal bits in "systemctl status" are currently completely
unprepared for --user, we really need to fix that.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.