[systemd-devel] Starting Display Managers

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Aug 21 03:08:10 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:09:10AM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> If the user has a graphics card supported by open-source DRI-based
> drivers with mandatory KMS, then /dev/dri/card0 (or maybe card1 in
> dual-gfx setups) is needed. And for Radeon TURKS cards, this only
> appears after loading firmware (which takes some time). If this is a
> tablet using the "fbdev" driver, then /dev/fb0 is needed. And with
> yet-unsupported graphics cards, the vesa driver only needs /dev/mem or
> something like that which is always present given a devtmpfs.
>
> The question is: how does one write this dependency information, so
> that lxdm is not attempted to be started before udev creates the
> necessary device node? Yes, I understand that GPU hotplug in Xorg is
> the real answer, but we don't have that now, and I don't know how it
> would cover vesa-based screens.

  This bug prompted adding CanGraphical property to seat.  See
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers
lxdm should watch for seat property to change to CanGraphical=yes
and then continue initialisation.

--
Tomasz Torcz                 "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl         "God is more forgiving."