[systemd-devel] Virtual dependencies

David.Yates at continental-corporation.com David.Yates at continental-corporation.com
Tue Aug 21 05:31:03 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me with a dependency problem that I am
currently having and I assume there is already a simple solution available
that I am missing.

I was looking for some handling inside of systemd that would work similar
to the concept of virtual packages in the Debian package management
situation.

Whereby, if I install an application that requires a mail transport agent
then that application can be set as dependent on a virtual class of
service that can be fulfilled by one of many applications that can be
installed.

This would be something like a "Provides" tag in the unit file. I have
seen the Alias tag and assume that that could be used in a similar way but
I am not sure what happens if you have multiple applications that alias to
the same virtual name. This would need some way to tell systemd which app
is actually the currently selected app for that virtual class.

The goal of this all being obviously to be able to handle runtime
dependencies and automatically starting the required underlying services
when needed.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I have missed a really easy way that this
should be handled.

Thanks

Dave