[systemd-devel] systemd hackfest on Developer Conference 2013

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 21 09:10:09 PDT 2012

On Tue, 21.08.12 08:37, David Strauss (david at davidstrauss.net) wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > We should have a Google+ Event for this for people to
> > sign up.
>
> It would be great to have a mini guide or blog post on the systemd
> conventions for organizing a hackfest. I would have been just as happy
> using Google+ for signup as EventBrite; there just wasn't any guide
> nudging me in that direction. I don't like confusing people with
> multiple sign-up places, either.

Either is fine with me. My guess is that more people are on Google+
anyway, so it might be easier to reach people with this.

> Knowing the best places to promote hackfests in the wider
> Fedora/Suse/Arch community could help, too.
>
> Ideally, the "guide" would suggest:
>
> * Where to post the sign-up (Google+ seems to be emerging as the de facto place)
> * Where to consider doing promotion and who controls them (mailing
> lists, blogs, calendars, IRC channel subjects/greetings)
> * Major events committers will be at (or would consider) that might be
> ripe for a hackfest, or where to find this information
>
> The biggest progress we've ever had in Drupal's decade of community
> development have been at these sorts of events. It's hard to overstate
> how great they can be for major feature kickoff and new contributor
> ramp-up.

I have now put a short initial version of such a document online:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/hackfests

I hope this is useful. I have also added a new Hackfests section to the
systemd homepage:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.