[systemd-devel] Bug in systemd? Running X without a display manager

Alan Stern stern at rowland.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 24 09:17:08 PDT 2012

I need some help with a problem.

I'm currently using Fedora 16, but without a display manager.  I log
into a text-mode VT (usually tty1) and run startx manually.  The
display uses tty7 and works fine.

But systemd isn't aware of it, or at least, isn't aware that my login
session now owns tty7.  For example, the devices labelled with the
"uaccess" tag have their ACLs adjusted so that I can't use them in the
graphical environment.  (When I switch back to a text-mode VT they work
fine.)

I'm not sure who to blame for this: systemd, dbus, or myself.  Still,
it seems like this _ought_ to work okay.

Can anybody help?

Alan Stern