[systemd-devel] journald: listening on multiple syslog sockets

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Sun Dec 2 02:26:19 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Dmitry V. Levin <ldv at altlinux.org> wrote:
> Listening on multiple sockets is almost as simple to implement as
> listening a single socket, so isn't it an overkill to run yet another
> syslog daemon just to address this simple issue?

You're welcome to propose a patch. I assume it would involve journald
consuming multiple file descriptors passed in through socket units.

> Those who already use sophisticated syslog daemons like rsyslog would hardly bother with forwarding to journald,

That is not really true. There are advantages to aggregating messages
in the journal, namely FSS, accessibility via the journal gateway
service, and other upcoming utilities for remote access.

You're also welcome to look at things like socat to proxy messages to
the main journald socket.

--
David Strauss