[systemd-devel] After firmare

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Dec 19 07:10:33 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 12.12.12 15:57, John Tobias (john.tobias.ph at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> I have a network.service (pls see below) for my wireless interface:
>>
>> [Unit]
>> Description=Network
>>
>> [Service]
>> Restart=on-failure
>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>
>> One of the problem was the systemd called the said script before the
>> kernel loads the firmware(/lib/firmware/TIInit_7.2.31.bts). I would
>> like to know if there's a way to determine if the firmware is already
>> loaded before the systemd execute the said service?.
>
> This looks like a driver issue to me. Normally the kernel should issue
> the firmware request as necessary, and the device should not show up in
> udev before it is properly initialized.

There are all sorts of models used for loading firmware. We don't know
which one is used or what to expect here. We only about the existence
of the device, and will not get any further event for it.

I guess systemd/udev just isn't the right tool to find out about the
actual state of the network interface. The tools which talk to the
interface should deal with that themselves, or a higher-level some
network management service needs to fill the gap here to hook things
up.

Kay