[systemd-devel] User services

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Thu Feb 9 12:10:44 PST 2012

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at profusion.mobi> on Mon, 23 Jan 2012
12:22:46 -0200:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:16:52 +0100
> > Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:
> > > I think systemd caring about session is a great idea and I added
> > > "kill-session-processes=1" to systemd's configuration in pam files.
> > > However this brings some problems. [...]
>
> Guys, you're misunderstanding that setting usage and the purpose.
>
> People who will set kill-session-processes=1 are sysadmins that really
> do not want user processes to stay after they went out. Imagine an
> university campus, you do not want one student to leave background
> tasks after he logged out, they could interfere with the next student.

With todays desktops and notebook using suspend and hibernate and running for
days, weeks or even month this does make sense.

I can remember situations where a broken script starts a new ssh-agent every
time I started an interactive shell.
Or starting a dhcp daemon for testing purposes and wondering what confuses
the network the next location I connect to.
I can consider a lot more situations.

> For common desktops/laptops there should be no need for this setting,
> that's why it's off by default.

Till now I thought this is the "safe default" rather than what is expected
the final goal.

However I am nearly happy now. tmux with pam support works fine and starting
an ssh-agent (or in my case gpg-agent with ssh support) with the X
session suits nearly all my use cases.
--
Best regards,
Chris