[systemd-devel] Display manager and logind interaction

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 14 12:41:00 PST 2012

On Mon, 13.02.12 16:38, Lennart Poettering (lennart at poettering.net) wrote:

> > > for this?) of logind session, i.e. whether something is a DM greeter
> > > session, or a DM lock screen or something like that. We could add this
> > > easily however, for example via an XDG_SESSION_ROLE env var for the PAM
> > > stack, or so.
> > >
> > > Anyway, not sure I grok your question, please elaborate!
> >
> > That definitely sounds useful but I'm referring to the starred case
> > above here.
>
> OK, I'll implement XDG_SESSION_CLASS for this now. It probably makes
> sense to have this property defined right from the beginning if we want
> display managers to set it.

I have now implemented XDG_SESSION_CLASS in logind. A display manager
should set this PAM env var when setting up a greeter session to
"greeter" and this will then allow clients to distuingish greeter
sessions from normal sessions. There's also the class "lock-screen". And
there's the default of "user" which is used when this env var is not
set.

I have also spend some time in writing up what I already wrote in the
earlier mail to you in the wiki:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers

It also explains that people should use XDG_SESSION_CLASS.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.