[systemd-devel] Using systemd as a session manager

Alessandro Delgado adelgado1313 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 08:44:11 PST 2012

Hello List,

I would like to know if anybody knows something on using systemd as a
session manager. What I mean as a session manager is something responsable
for having some programs that I'd like to be running under certain
circumpstances run under those. (e.g. nm-applet,  xfcce4-power-manager,
gnome-sound-applet etc.)

The solution I use right now is to either put those on my .xinitrc or start
those using the methods of whichever environment I happen to be using. I
tend to use minimalistic window managers with many small programs to use as
envionment, so that means scripting.

It is sub-optimal for several reasons:

a) Sometimes if you restart your window manager you get several instances
of notification icons
b) If you plug a new monitor on the computer sometimes the same effect
happens
c) If any of the programs halt, they won't restart automatically
d) They are started as a shell spawn, serially, which can feel extremely
slow, instead of in parallel

This is also fact with applications that I want to autostart, such as
Firefox, Liferea, Pidgin, terminal etc.

Basically, I would like to know is: If there is a clean way to do this in
systemd? Is it meant for it in some way or not even considered?

P.S. Of course, I run systemd as my init system; I'm thinking aditionally
to that.

Cheers,

Alessandro