[systemd-devel] Considering fuse+sshfs mounts as "network"

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 11 06:55:53 PST 2012

On Wed, 11.01.12 12:46, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Mike Kazantsev at 11/01/12 12:13 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:24:51 +0000
> > Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've got some users with fuse based sshfs mounts in their fstab which is
> >> messing up their boot.
> >>
> >> Obviously they can add "noauto" but then their argument is that they do
> >> want them to be automatically mounted... I'm sure there are other ways
> >> to solve this, but by the same token, there already exists a whitelist
> >> in the code to consider certain filesystems as "network" and I was
> >> wondering if we could extend this to fuse+sshfs too?
> >>

> > Why not just add "_netdev" to mount options?
> > Iirc systemd respects that flag.
>
> Well the logical extension of that argument is to remove the current
> netfs whitelist completely... not sure if that would be a good idea?

To summarize what we just discussed on IRC, for the sake of googleable archives:

We probably never can get rid of the whitelist for NFS and suchlike, but
that doesn't mean for new stuff we'd have to continue to make additions
to the whitelist. I think the future should instead be that people make
use of _netdev where applicable.

It's admittedly a bit arbitrary to say that FUSE mounts is where we draw
the line and don'tadd them to the whitelist anymore, but we should draw
the line somewhere and given the volatility of userspace there I think
it's a good place to draw it.

So yeah, we need to advocate that people use _netdev whereever
applicable.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.