[systemd-devel] User services

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 07:05:52 PST 2012

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 12:22:46 -0200
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:16:52 +0100
> > Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everybody,
> >>
> >> I think systemd caring about session is a great idea and I added
> >> "kill-session-processes=1" to systemd's configuration in pam files.
> >> However this brings some problems. (Two for me to be precisely.)

> Guys, you're misunderstanding that setting usage and the purpose.
>
> People who will set kill-session-processes=1 are sysadmins that really
> do not want user processes to stay after they went out. Imagine an
> university campus, you do not want one student to leave background
> tasks after he logged out, they could interfere with the next student.
>
> For common desktops/laptops there should be no need for this setting,
> that's why it's off by default.

In my defence, I'd never turn such thing on, yet such "killing after
logout" was somehow enabled on my system since systemd-38 and I still
can't figure out why and how such insanity can be implicit default (I
have it disabled in pam and logind.conf) in any configuration.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net