[systemd-devel] systemd numbers for Debian Sid/unstable system

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 3 02:37:25 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 03/07/12 01:26 did gyre and gimble:

>>> What is this? This stuff sounds like something that can just go away...
>>
>> I was surprised too. It looks like this was installed by
>> `grml-debootstrap` and I removed it using the following command.
>>
>>     $ sudo aptitude purge --purge-unused sysfsutils
>
> I pretty sure this is a package to remove from the distribution
> entirely.
>
>>> Hmm, as a system service? Meh..
>>
>> Well, no. Debian still ships an init.d script which reads
>> `/etc/default/pulseaudio` and there system mode is disabled by default.
>> So I masked this one too.
>>
>>     $ sudo systemctl mask pulseaudio.service
>
> Hmm, dounds a bit strange that on Debian you enable/disable that script
> via a file in /etc/default, even though sysv already has a mechanism for
> this, which is the done by update-rcd, right? Sounds like two levels of
> turning things off where one would be sufficient and less confusing...

Maybe it's just a protection against users own lack of knowledge. e.g.
if they see a pulseaudio service and think "hey I use pulseaudio, this
should be enabled" and then enable it, they will suddenly find
themselves switched to pulseaudio system-wide mode (not generally
recommended) rather than pulseaudio per-user mode (recommended).

Just a guess, but I'd personally say that if you are going to ship an
initscript for PA at all (I try to avoid it) then just include it in a
separate sub-package.

Speaking of which... assuming a time when systemd user sessions are the
norm, can a system service conflict with a user service? e.g. say we had
pulseaudio.service active (thus a system-wide instance), it should
really conflict with the user pulseaudio.service... Anyway way to
achieve that? Might be a bit of a strange use case to be honest.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie