[systemd-devel] Question about mount unit generators

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Wed Jul 25 11:28:01 PDT 2012

As you can tell from my code:

https://github.com/Rudd-O/zfs/blob/master/systemd/systemd-zfs-generator.in

I carefully calculate dependencies so the file systems are mounted in
the correct order.

Now that fstab unit generation is moving to a generator, I read the code
in systemd.git.  I discovered it does not calculate dependencies (what
file systems to mount first) at all.  It just sets very simple befores=
and afters=.

However, the proper dependencies DO show when I do systemctl show (resp.
mount unit).

Thus my question:

Would it be correct to say that the generator I wrote absolutely does
not need to calculate parent file system dependencies, because some
black magic inside systemd / systemctl knows to figure out the parent
file system dependencies thus guarantees mounting in the right order??

Thanks in advance.