[systemd-devel] ctrl-s + shutdown

Lukáš Nykrýn lnykryn at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 03:33:40 PDT 2012

Hello,
A customer had complained about this behavior:
1) login to system
2) press ctrl+s
3) log to this computer from another machine using ssh
4) type shutdown -h now through ssh
5) ?

Their problem is that in RHEL5(sysvinit) 5) is "nothing until user press
ctrl+q, than shutdown" but in RHEL6(upstart) system goes to shutdown
immediately.

I was not sure which one is correct, so I tried what would systemd
(44-12.fc17) do in this case.

Result are quite inconsistent. In some cases system shutdowns
immediately, sometime shutdown command hanged and system waited for
ctrl-q and few times ssh disconnect and screen went completely black and
system hanged.

Unfortunately I have only one f17 in virtual to test this, so I want to
ask if somebody else can try it and obvious question is: What is correct
behavior?

Regards
Lukas