[systemd-devel] systemd-udevd: excessive I/O usage

Peeters Simon peeters.simon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:36:09 PDT 2012

2012/6/4 Kok, Auke-jan H <auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com>:
> It seems your system is taking well into 15+ seconds before btrfs is
> actually *ready* on your system, which seems to be the main hiccup
> (note, speculation here). I've personally become a bit displeased with
> btrfs performance recently myself, so, I'm wondering if you should try
> ext4 for now.

i doubt it is btrfs since this is only my home partition, which is
automounted (the reason why it get activated so late).

i now disabled my home partition (so booting up 100% ext4) and i still
see the same "udev doing stuff" hole in the bootchart (both low I/O
and low CPU here)

> Other than that, after btrfs/udev finally pops to life, things seem to
> start relatively quickly.

well, you name the two here, but i am pretty convinced it is not btrfs
so it seems to be udev.