[systemd-devel] Different bootchart versions (was: systemd-udevd: excessive I/O usage)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 5 02:33:35 PDT 2012

Dear Auke,

Am Montag, den 04.06.2012, 13:02 -0700 schrieb Kok, Auke-jan H:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Peeters Simon <peeters.simon at gmail.com> wrote:

> > while trying to optimize my bootup i noted that i could not squeeze it
> > under 17seconds userspace
> >
> > Looking at the bootchart revealed that this is mainly due to
> > systemd-udevd consuming 60% of my bootup I/O.
> > This means i lose 12 seconds of bootup just to one process.
>
> can you post the bootchart SVG file?
>
> I'm assuming you're using this version of bootchart:
>
> http://foo-projects.org/~sofar/bootchart/bootchart-1.18.tar.gz

looking at Debian there are two packages.

        $ LANG=C aptitude show bootchart bootchart2
        Package: bootchart
        State: installed
        Automatically installed: yes
        Version: 0.10~svn407-3.3
         Bootchart is a tool for performance analysis and visualization of the GNU/Linux boot process. Resource utilization and process information
         are collected during the boot process and are later rendered in a PNG, SVG or EPS encoded chart.

         You can render the data with bootchart-view or at http://www.bootchart.org/download.html
        Homepage: http://www.bootchart.org/

        Package: bootchart2
        New: yes
        State: not installed
        Version: 0.14.2-1
         bootchart2 is a boot process performance analyser: a tool that lets you collect and analyse data from your boot process. bootchart2 origins
         from bootchart, and has some advantages over it:

         * more detailed kernel charting: uses the taskstats interface, instead of /proc/*/stat
         * the data collector has been rewritten to make it faster

         After the boot, you can view the logged data with a separately-provided GUI.
        Homepage: http://github.com/mmeeks/bootchart

Could you clarify the relation between the version you meantioned [1]
and bootchart2 maintained by Michael Meeks [1]? That would be awesome.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://foo-projects.org/~sofar/bootchart/