[systemd-devel] `systemd-analyze blame` shows unit file although `systemctl list-units-files` shows it as disabled

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sun Jun 10 06:25:20 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 03:10:52PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear systemd folks,
>

> I do not understand why a disabled unit file is listed in
> `systemd-analyze blame`.
>
>         $ systemctl list-unit-files
>         […]
>         accounts-daemon.service                disabled
>         […]
>         $ systemd-analyze blame
>         […]
>             35ms accounts-daemon.service
>         […]
>
> Could you enlighten me what is going on? Reading `man systemctl` and
> `man systemd` I still could not figure this out.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

'disabled' only describes the state of a unit which contains an
[Install] section, but which hasn't been explicitly enabled via
systemctl. It doesn't prevent the service from being pulled in as a
requirement from another service or being bus/socket activated.

If you want to prevent this unit from ever being started, you'll need to
'mask' it.

dave