[systemd-devel] setting up to allow separate udev and systemd builds

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Thu Jun 14 11:57:34 PDT 2012

Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012, 13:40:57 schrieb Koen Kooi:
> Op 14 jun. 2012, om 10:38 heeft Wulf C. Krueger het volgende geschreven:
> > I can confirm and emphasize what William already wrote - for us
> > source-based distros
>
> I just have to ask: what are non-source based distros based on? Pixie dust?

The sources are compiled right on the users' systems as opposed to binary
distros where the sources are - usually - compiled by the distro who then
provides pre-built binary packages to their users.

One of the main differences concerning the issue at hand is that as a
consequence built-time dependencies matter for users, so build everything and
discard what you don't want causes more overhead than for a distributor who's
probably going to have a use for the binaries that are excluded from a udev-
only package.  A Gentoo/LFS/etc. user who doesn't opt for systemd will need to
satisfy the build deps for no benefit just to get udev.

Regards,
Malte