[systemd-devel] setting up to allow separate udev and systemd builds

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 08:20:04 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:52:37PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> All,
>
> on source-based distros like gentoo or lfs, and on distros that do not
> use systemd as their init system, we need a way to build systemd and
> udev separately from each other so that udev can be built without all of
> systemd's build time dependencies.

Maybe a better way to put this is we need a way to build and install
udev standalone, and the build system doesn't support doing this.

An option I thought of, besides my patches in this thread, would be to
add a --enable-udev-standalone configure switch to do this. If this
possibility is acceptable, I'll look at creating a patch to do it.

The issues with the current way of doing this are the build time
dependencies and the build time itself.

Any thoughts?

William