[systemd-devel] systemd unit files for Debian based systems

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 19 01:03:23 PDT 2012

On Mon, 18.06.12 21:56, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

heya,

> > Those files should probably not be used, they are kinda out-of-date. I
> > have removed these files now from the web server, to avoid
> > confusion. (ok, i renamed them to "/systemd-units.out-of-date/", so that
> > they can be used as reference but little else)
>
> If my assumptions that systemd unit files should be distribution
> independent than a central place at freedesktop.org to collect these
> unit files would be great. Then everybody could try these and improve
> them while trying to get these upstream.

Well, the thing is that I really don't want to create the impression
that the unit files should be maintained independently of the projects
and that we actually *wanted* to have them centrally maintained. On top
of that I am really unable to maintain them in a good condition in such
a repository.

> > > The best way would be of course that units would be included by upstream
> > > but this does not seem to be the case yet.
> > >
> > > At least I could not find those for openssh-server [2],
>
> Do you know of a service file for openssh-server?

The Fedora packages have some, but I don't like them too much since they
don't use socket activation...

> `console-common` [6] contains `/etc/init.d/keymap.sh` to set the keymap.

Urks, this looks really awful and should just go away...

> > What is cpufrequitls for? Why would anybody fiddle with that? "ondemand"
> > is the only CPU scheduler that makes sense, so what is this about? Also,
> > you can change the CPU scheduler via simple sysfs writes, right? So why
> > would you use a tool like "cpufreq" for this? tmpfiles should be
> > entirely sufficient?
> >
> > cpufreq stuff really appears to be sugar for -Oit-feels-so-much-faster-now freaks...
>
> In Debian it is a recommendation of the package `gnome-applets`.
>
>         $ LANG=C aptitude why cpufrequtils
>         i   gnome         Depends    gnome-applets (>= 2.91)
>         i A gnome-applets Recommends cpufrequtils
>
> I guess it is useful to have an abstraction layer because directories
> and files under `/sys` might change.

Nah, really, cpufrequtils should just go away. People should use the
kernel APIs right away.

> > > For example in Debian such files are put under
> > > `/etc/default/cpufrequtils`.
> >
> > This directories should not be used anymore. I'd recommend everybody to
> > just stop using them alltogether, and not support them anymore.
>
> What is your recommended way of doing that?

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/on-etc-sysinit.html

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.