[systemd-devel] cpufrequtils considered useless

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 19 11:58:30 PDT 2012

On Tue, 19.06.12 19:06, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> > Or do whatever they used to do in the past and bet it works, like it
> > did most of the time. The problem is pretty much solved from systemd's
> > point of view, so there will be no effort from this side.
> >
> > The only safe option was to compile all of the cpufreq modules into
> > the kernel. The drivers implement fallback and legacy support, so the
> > driver loading order is important. Userspace would need to know in
> > which order to try them out, which is seriously nothing userspace
> > should ever pretend to know.
>
> The other option would be to have a small service that runs once,
> detects the relevant hardware and then setups up an appropriate
> modprobe.preload.d file (or similar) for use on subsequent boots.
>
> Detect once, then use static configs there after.

Well, but we actually try hard to make our systems as stateless as
possible and not require / to be writable. i.e. we want to be able to
boot the same image on real hardware of any kind, in a VM of any kind or
in a container of any kind. But with making static changes to the OS
like this you effectively break that logic...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.