[systemd-devel] Unit file for motd (message of the day)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 19 13:14:34 PDT 2012

Am Dienstag, den 19.06.2012, 20:04 +0200 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Sun, 10.06.12 14:40, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

Dear Lennart,

> >           [ Roger Leigh ]
> >           * initscripts:
> >             - Don't generate or touch /etc/motd.  Instead, the dynamic part of
> >               /etc/motd is created as /run/motd.dynamic, leaving /etc/motd
> >               entirely under the control of the system administrator.  If
> >               /etc/motd is a symlink to /run/motd, /etc/motd.tail is moved
> >               back to /etc/motd.  Closes: #353229, #624391, #668307.  /etc/motd
> >               is not removed if initscripts is purged, since it's not owned by
> >               initscripts.
> >             - By default, /run/motd is just the output of uname, preserving the
> >               existing behaviour.  However, should the administrator wish to
> >               include dynamic information in the motd, they may write scripts
> >               to update /run/motd.dynamic as they please.  Closes: #437176.
>
> Yikes, baroque.
>
> > So is systemd’s conversion of that init.d script to a unit file take so
> > long? Can someone point me to a unit/service file for motd so that I can
> > compare it? Unfortunately I could not find one on the net when searching
> > for »fedora systemd motd service file«.
>
> Honestly I always found that this mangling of motd in Debian is
> quite confused. /etc should be considered read-only. Always writing
> to the root fs just because you boot the machine is a really bad idea.

Reading this changelog entry and the init.d script, I could not find
anything that is written dynamically to `/etc` and just to `/run`.

        $ ls -al /etc/motd*
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  13 Apr  3  2008 /etc/motd -> /var/run/motd
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 286 Apr  3  2008 /etc/motd.tail
        $ more /etc/motd*
        ::::::::::::::
        /etc/motd
        ::::::::::::::
        Linux debian-sid 3.2.0-2-686-pae #1 SMP Mon Jun 11 18:27:04 UTC 2012 i686

        The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
        the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
        individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

        Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
        permitted by applicable law.
        ::::::::::::::
        /etc/motd.tail

        The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
        the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
        individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

        Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
        permitted by applicable law.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul