[systemd-devel] Minimal builds

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Thu Jun 21 03:50:14 PDT 2012

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012, 11:48:29 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Wed, 20.06.12 15:56, William Hubbs (w.d.hubbs at gmail.com) wrote:
> > It isn't for us, because, for example, if I use option 1, I have to do
> > the opposite of the second half of it. Our pm installs everything in the
> > place pointed to by DESTDIR, then I have to manually remove the things I
> > don't need. As was pointed out in a thread earlier, this is very
> > error-prone and definitely could lead to issues.
>
> Hmm? This really appears to be a broken package manager. Sorry, but I am
> not going to work around the limitations of downstream package managers
> in upstream packages if everybody else gets this right.

Oh well, just because the cherry picking happens by negating the list of what
you want and then deleting everything else doesn't really make this "broken",
does it?  In fact it optimises for the usual case where you want to include
everything you get from make install.

I see how the needs of non-BLOB distros/users might not be your top priority
and personally I'd definately rather push migration to systemd than investing
too much in a split build.  Still it seems totally broken that you have to
order a five course meal then trash all but the soup just because the menu
contains no standalone soup.  Oh right, but you fully support eating just the
soup.

Well, maybe those who need a udev-only build could instead coordinate their
efforts so there only needs to be one set of patches/*.pc hacks/cherry picking
scripts.  Maybe the systemd maintainers could accept such a thing for a
contrib/ subdir?

It's sad how this kind of debate drains so much time and energy from both up-
and downstream,
Malte