[systemd-devel] udev: problem renaming deviceode for dvb-devices

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Sat Jun 23 04:56:34 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Dr. Thomas Bastian <tbastian at gmx.net> wrote:
> I need my usb-dvb-cards assigned to fixed /dev/dvb/adapter-numbers in
> order to make them work proberly with mencoder which addreses them via
> the adapter number.

Udev cannot rename kernel-created device nodes. These nodes are not
created by udev, but by the kernel itself. Udev will not change them,
just set permissions and ownership.

Udev can add additional symlinks pointing to the kernel-created nodes.
Just use SYMLINK+= instead of NAME=, like here:
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/rules/60-persistent-v4l.rules

Kay