[systemd-devel] systemd based gnome-session

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Mon Jun 25 18:19:30 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Peeters Simon <peeters.simon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry that i forgot to give credit where credit is due:
> The code in this program is majorly inspired by:
>  - nodm (this is actually a fork/adaption of an unfinished rewrite of nodm)
>  - user-session by Auke Kok
>  - various tutorials and man page examples
>
> Even though this programs functionality is comparable to user-session,
> it was mostly written from scratch without knowledge about the
> existence of user-session.
>
> to Auke:
> > ugh
> >
> > this is starting to duplicate almost all the functionality that I've put in
> > xorg-launch-helper and user-session-units.
>
> well, i had written almost everything before i knew these (and i still
> have to take a closer look at them)
>
> the main difference i think is that i do all xorg preparation (which
> sometimes requires root) in the main daemon so all pam variables can
> be set accordingly (auto-detect next free vt, next available
> address,...)
>
> > Not to mention the code looks... well, pretty much the same as we've
> > had in uxlaunch/user-session for almost 3 years. Some attribution would
> > be nice.
>
> I indeed forgot to put some atribution in the readme, (fixed this in git)
> but i have to add a comment to what you say here:
>  - more than 75% of the code was written before i even looked at the
> code of user-session
>  - large parts of the code were part of my (unfinished) effort to
> rewrite nodm half a year ago. (options, pam stuff, most xserver stuff)
>  - as far as i remember only two features came in based on your code,
> the --dpi= option, and support for non-suid Xorg (which are both quiet
> trivial afaik)
>
> > But aside from that, we should not let that go much further. Working
> > besides each other is just silly. (although I'll flat-out refuse to work
> > with CMake, sorry).
>
> The CMake part is mainly because i needed a buildsystem fast, and i
> had no experience with any buildsystem (from a developer side). and i
> did not have the time to learn autotools (it appears pretty complex),
> but will do in the future, and the i'll see what i do with this. (feel
> free to fork on github and add autotools stuff)
>
> Besides that, feel free to use any of the code in your projects.
>
> >> In the gnome directory you can find a daemon i use to catch/forward
> >> logout, shutdown and reboot requests from shutdown.
> >> If you plan on creating such a DBus forward daemon for your DE, take a
> >> look at the DBus oriented pseudo language i created in dbus_lang.h.
> >
> > That's cool. We certainly will want to make that work for other desktops
> > as well. Standardization should be key here.
>
> well, ideally the interface should talk directly to logind an systemd,
> but since this requires changes in packages i don't like changing a
> lot, i just made this translation daemon for compatibility.
>
> I did write this as an exercise for myself, and initially did not
> [...]

well cool - I'm glad you actually shared it. It's also a good time to
actually stick our heads together and come up with a decent plan going
forward. One of the things we will want to avoid is to make
non-upstreamable code for the parts where it makes sense, for
instance, so implementation details do matter.

thanks for writing back quickly - I really appreciate it.

We also need to figure out a way to get your dbus patch accepted
upstream, and perhaps this is something I can further help with.

Auke