[systemd-devel] Disabling RTC updates on shutdown

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Fri Mar 16 12:11:25 PDT 2012

Hi Lennart,

Lennart Poettering wrote:

> systemd does not update the RTC on shutdown.

I apologise, the system is only accessable via ssh and after years of
using previous Redhat and Fedora versions that did this, I thought F16
did as well.

> We update the RTC in the timedated mechanism when somebody changes the
> system time, but we do not delay updating the RTC to shutdown.

This may explain the intermittent nature of the problem I am seeing. The
system is a PVR based on the software vdr, which is only waking up at
wakealarm time about 70% of the time.

It has a feature which I have enabled, to synchronise system time to
time data contained in a prefered DVB-S transponder stream. This
synchronisation does not occur every startup - maybe only after a
certain window is exceeded.

Would this trigger the timedated RTC update and if so, how would I
prevent it?

Many thanks for your reply,

Richard