[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v44

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 07:25:47 PDT 2012

On 03/19/2012 10:12 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 15:03, Thierry Reding
> <thierry.reding at avionic-design.de> wrote:
>> * Daniel J Walsh wrote:

I get the following error and warnings when crosscompiling for arm:

>>> Right now they are unlimited, but we are having discussions
>>> with upstream about potentially picking a limit of around 2k.
>>
>> What is the time frame for this?
>>
>>> I have been able to generate a worse case label of just over
>>> 5k, in userspace, but this would be limited to around 2k if
>>> coming from the kernel.
>>>
>>> In NON-MlS world, SELinux labels would never be longer then 100
>>> chars.
>>
>> In the meantime maybe some constant known to be an absolute
>> maximum should be chosen. I don't know if the typical page-size
>> of 4K would be enough given that you've been able to generate one
>> that is larger. 8K on the other hand seems way too much.
>
> It used to be NAME_MAX 255 in the past, in earlier days of
> selinux/audit userspace, I think.

I think this is a perfectly acceptable number and will satisfy most
cases.  Only in the wacky world of MLS where you could have a huge
number of categories is the not enough, and the MLS world would rely
on the audit.log anyways for this type of information.  Until SELinux
picks a number I would go with a NAME_MAX of 255.