[systemd-devel] special characters in console

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Tue Mar 20 14:02:26 PDT 2012

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> on Tue, 2012/03/20 21:19:
> On Tue, 20.03.12 20:24, Christian Hesse (mail at eworm.de) wrote:
>

> > Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Tue, 2012/03/20 18:16:
> > > I used to have problems with special characters in console, this
> > > includes German umlauts (ä, ö, ü & ß) and pseudo graphical stuff
> > > produced by pstree, tmux and friends.
> > >
> > > I fix to by appending " linux" to the agetty command in getty at .service.
> > > Is there anything wring with doing that? Patch is attached.
> >
> > Ok, forget about it... Was confused by my habits.
> >
> > It's independent from whether or not I give agetty a terminal via
> > argument. (Anything else should be very wired as "linux" is the default
> > for linux systemd. ;) )
> >
> > The problem occurs on tty1. tty2 to tty6 are ok. So what is different with
> > tty1?
> > BTW, this is an Arch system.
>
> Hmm, so we load the screen font in systemd-vconsole-setup, and this
> currently assumes to be invoked at a time where only one VT is allocated
> so that the font is inherited by all VTs created after that.
>
> Is it possible that for you the VTs are allocated already very early at
> boot and hence don't get the font applied?
>
> If this is your problem then the right fix is probably to change setfont
> so that it is capable of applying the font to all allocated VTs instead
> of just the first.

Ok, found the problem... Kind of.
This time for real I think. :D

It's the keymap hook (with install script [0] and hook itself [1]) from
Arch's mkinitcpio.

Setting the console font is not a problem, I have the correct font on all
ttys. Also setting consolefont in initrd via consolefont hook is not a
problem.

Will take a look at that soon. Thanks for your help!

[0] http://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/tree/install/keymap
[1] http://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/tree/hooks/keymap
--
Best regards,