[systemd-devel] pam_systemd.so and su

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 21 18:11:06 PDT 2012

On Thu, 22.03.12 00:41, Lennart Poettering (lennart at poettering.net) wrote:

> On Sun, 18.03.12 16:08, Canek Peláez Valdés (caneko at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi; I'm using systemd 43 in Gentoo, and I usally have this line at the
> > end of /etc/pam.d/system-auth:
> >
> > -session        optional        pam_systemd.so
> >
> > When I use su to become root, after logout the following message appears:
> >
> >  ...killed.
> >
> > Not always, but most of the time. Without the line with
> > pam_systemd.so, the message never appears.
> >
> > So, two questions:
> >
> > 1. Why is my session being killed at logout time?
> >
> > 2. The pam_systemd.so is really necessary? The "...killed." message
> > appears after two or three seconds, and it's slightly annoying.
>
> Which version of systemd is this? (If it isnt 44, please upgrade first,
> then try to reproduce this)
>
> Do you have audit enabled in the kernel and are using pam_loginuid?
>
> Normally, when the pam session close hooks are called logind responds to
> this by killing the main process of the session if it still
> exists. This is probably the source of the problem here.

I have now commited a patch to git that might fix your issue. Please
test:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=75c8e3cffd7da8eede614cf61384957af2c82a29

I assume this fixes your problem, but since our kernels actually have
audit enabled I am a bit too lazy trying to reproduce the issue here, so
I'd be very thankful if you could test this!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.