[systemd-devel] /media as tmpfs

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Mar 27 07:55:03 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 16:21, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen at err.no> wrote:
>>
>> why is /media a tmpfs?  I think that violates user expectations that
>> /media will be persistent across reboots, in particular any directories
>> created and such.
>
> It is expected that /media will contain directories for mountpoints,
> mostly created automatically based on media name.
>
> Then it makes sense to make it volatile and allows / to be read-only.

That was the idea. But we do not use /media any more, udisks mounts
all stuff in the user's runtime dir these days.

User volumes must not be mounted at system-wide places; the entire
idea of /media is kind of flawed and should be phased out. The first
step is not to use in in any actively maintained tools.

We are about to remove /media from systemd's defaults, so that should
no longer be a problem.

Kay