[systemd-devel] About autofs: no handling of expire??

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Wed May 2 07:10:44 PDT 2012

2012/5/2 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
>> (autofs_ptype_expire_direct). Is this on purpose?
>> I see a timeout set, so I guess it was the intention to handle the
>> expire.
>
> We currently don't do expiration, since this wasn't intended as a full
> autofs implementation, but just a way to parallelize and delay load
> things at boot.
>
> That said, we could support expire easily I guess, and so I have now
> added this to the TODO list.

Well you do not have to. I'm just asking.

>> It works, so here probably happens something strange: while using the
>> field packet.hdr, actually the field packet.v5_packet.hdr is used. Is
>> this correct?
>
> In Autofs5 all packets have the same format which exposes
> pid. i.e. autofs_packet_xxx_yyy_t are all typedef'ed to the same packet
> struct. Hence accessing this this way is safe.

Well yes every autofs packet starts with a header. If it's a autofsv5
pakket, it also starts with a header. Probably because it's the first
struct in the union AND the first field part of autofs_v5_packet, it
works.

I'm just checking the code and see I understand it to write my own
autofs implementation using FUSE. The FUSE fs will somehow be what now
is the "browseable" map with indirect maps with the automounter, and
somehow  I have to find a way to make a specific directory a direct
autofs mountpoint.

Thanks,

Stef Bon