[systemd-devel] Have custom agetty behaviour even after upgadres

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 14 14:34:11 PDT 2012

On Mon, 14.05.12 17:31, Dave Reisner (d at falconindy.com) wrote:

> > > See line 3128ish on git master. This is absolutely something that we (Arch
> > > Linux) inherit from upstream.
> >
> > "make install" is not really too useful for end-user installs, is it?
> > The distro package manager should handle configuration files specially,
> > the way .rpm or .deb do it.
>
> I'm saying 'make install' from within the packaging environment with
> some sort of DESTDIR= variable pointing to the packaging root. Fedora
> does this, Mageia does this, Arch does this. Anyone who tries to package
> something this complex on their own is doing it wrong.

Yupp, absolutely, but the tool which then copies the stuff from DESTDIR
to the real root should handle the overriding of the file in question
properly.

> I'll bring this closer to home. Why does "make DESTDIR=%{buildroot} install"
> write to $(sysconfdir) when you've always proclaimed that it's admin territory?
> Why not write this link as: $(systemunitdir)/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service?

Since this is just about enabling, not about shipping
configuration. People will frequently not enable the getty on tty1, on
servers with serial gettys and on containers for example.

We make a suggestion to enable the getty for tty1, but we don't think it
it should stay enabled even if the user disables it in /etc.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.